Realistic Schools: Vienna School of Fantastic Realism
The Vienna School of Fantastic Realism
is a group of artists founded in Vienna in 1946.
It includes Ernst Fuchs, Arik Brauer, Rudolf Hausner, Wolfgang Hutter, Anton Lehmden andFritz Janschka, all students of Professor Albert Paris Gütersloh at the Vienna Academy of Fine Arts.
It was Gütersloh’s emphasis on the techniques of the Old Masters that gave the fantastic realist painters a grounding in realism (expressed with a clarity and detail some have compared to early Flemish painting) combined with religious and esoteric symbolism.
- 1974 – Die Wiener Schule des Phantastischen Realisumus (C. Bertelsmann) (Johann Muschik) (German language)
- 2005 – Fantastic Art (Taschen)(Schurian, Prof. Dr. Walter) (English edition)
- 2003 – Die Phantasten – Die Wiener Schule des Phantastischen Realisums (Stdtgemeinde Tulln) (German Language)
- 2007 – Metamorphosis (beinArt)
- 2008 – Phantastischer Realismus (Belvedere, Wien) (German Language)